Who we are
The Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute (IGTP) is a public research centre located in Badalona. Its main objective is to increase scientific knowledge in order to transform it into solutions to improve the health and medical care of patients and the community.
The Institute is associated with one of the major university hospitals in the Barcelona area, the Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital, and is part of the Can Ruti biomedical campus. IGTP is a CERCA centre and is also accredited as a centre of excellence by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII) and is in charge of coordinating the management and scientific strategy of the campus, working in close collaboration with the other centres.
The Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute carries out research within 9 areas:
- Cardiovascular and Respiratory Diseases
- Community Health
- Diseases of the Liver and Digestive Tract
- Endocrine and Diseases of the Metabolism, Bones and Kidneys
- Immunology and Inflammation
- Infectious Diseases
- Science of Behaviour and Substance Abuse
Scientists working in these areas publish an average of over 900 papers a year, contribute to improved treatment and healthcare protocols, produce patents and set up spin-off companies in order to improve the lives of patients.
The mission of the IGTP is to promote translational research of maximum efficiency in all the different institutions included within it to improve people's health and quality of life.
The vision of the IGTP is to be a prestigious multi-institutional biomedical research centre, a reference centre in Catalonia and the world that contributes to the attainment of cures for diseases and the improvement of health and quality of life for people through the exploitation of its translational and multidisciplinary research.
- Leadership and Research Excellence: to be a reference centre in prevalent and relevant areas of knowledge.
- Innovation: conceptual, methodological, technological, and clinical-therapeutic.
- Commitment to Society: progress in pursuit of health through education, translational research, and knowledge transfer.
- Multidisciplinarity: facilitates cooperation and synergies among internal and external groups.
- Ethics and Humanitarian Vision of Biomedical Research: strict adherence to ethical principles and a humanitarian vision of biomedical research.
- Sustainability: in resource and environmental management.
- Service Orientation: striving to be the best working for vocation, ethics and equity.
Strategic plan 2023-2027
The strategic plan was drawn up taking into account strategic documents for Catalan, Spanish and European health research.
Some of IGTP’s strategic projects are co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.